Tuesday, December 4, 2007

the "klootchy creek giant."



since sunday, there has been a very bad storm hitting the northwest, including my hometown astoria. there is massive flooding statewide which has closed highways and isolated towns. there have also been severe winds which have torn down trees and powerlines and since the telephones are out, so far i have not been able to contact my parents.
so yesterday as i was looking for news on astoria, i came across some sad news that almost made me cry. my favorite tree in the world broke in half. not only is it my favorite tree in the world, but it was also the largest sitka spruce tree in the US. it was 750 years old, 216 feet high and 52 feet wide. i love trees, but i love OLD trees even more. 750 years! that means the tree started as a seedling around 1257.
actually, the same day that i took michael to meet my parents, was the same day that i took him to see my tree. hehe, not that i hold my tree and my parents on the same level, it was just coincidence.

i can't find any pictures online to give it real justice, but i hope you get some idea. it was huge, and mossy, and beautiful. i will miss it. :(

here's a link:
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_120307_news_sitka_spruce_damaged_storm_icon.650b6cac.html

No comments: