Thursday, January 22, 2009

foggy day optimism!

it's my birthday today, i am twenty-five. it's a little strange to think of myself at twenty-five, especially since i still look about seventeen. i get carded a lot, not that i buy loads of alcohol or anything. it's more like the people at the grocery store watch me and wonder how i'm getting home. sometimes they'll offer to buy me candy bars. they probably figure my mom's going to come pick me up and change before we go to my soccer game. not really, that was a bunch of made-up stuff, but being 5'2'' tall doesn't help. (i've had a lot of coffee this morning by the way)

i bought a tea-latte at starbucks as a birthday present to myself. it's called London Fog and it's wicked good. sort of an earl grey/lavender brew. i suggest getting it without the vanilla syrup, unless you like your tea very sweet. i substitute it with a little honey. :)

on a more somber note, today is also the anniversary of roe v. wade. today people in our nation are celebrating the right to kill their unborn children. (i'm going to stand up on my little soap-box for a second...) when my mother was pregnant with me, she had many complications during her pregnancy. long story short, her doctors suggested she have an abortion because it was too risky to her health. thankfully she, laughed in their faces, chose to continue the pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy chubby jenny. if my mother had been anyone else, i might not have been able to celebrate my twenty-fifth birthday today. so yeah, abortion is a personal issue for me. after three miscarriages i truly see children as a blessing. as a person unable to experience such a blessing, i just cannot understand why someone would willingly terminate a pregnancy.

i don't usually dip into the political world, forgive me if my words were unorganized. i'd love to talk more though, say over some London Fog maybe? ;)

8 comments:

erin* said...

I really like the London Fog. It's really intense, and not at all how people in London would drink their tea, but I like it.

I am happy you were born! Your mom is courageous. Thank God she was willing to sacrifice her comfort for you instead of thinking of herself first. A true mother. :)

Lauren S. said...

Hooray for your birthday! I too am so glad you are here and your mom didn't listen to those doctors.

May your 25th year be a great one!
And, many more to you of course. :)

David James said...

I am also glad that your mom decided to have you. I'm also glad that you wrote London Fog in bold both times.

;)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday friend and if Mike ever changes his mind about...the you know what...then I'd like to go with you to the you know where...and pick out the you know what, assuming you'd get it from the you know where. If he doesn't call dibs for going of course. Anyway, I'm happy that you're alive and my friend!

Kaleena said...

Happy Birthday. Sadly I cannot enjoy London Fog with you though. The lavendar would give me a wicked bad headache.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Jenny! I love you! I wish we were drinking London Fog in the London fog!

Mimi said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I've not heard of the London Fog.

Brian Baker said...

I am so glad that your mother and father did not compromise their moral characters and allow the doctors to end your life 25 years too early. I am so greatly blessed to have you as a sister.

You have now got 25 candles sticking it to all of those baby killers!