Saturday, May 16, 2009

the vegetable of my labor!


i wanted to show you all my first harvested zucchini before i chopped it up for my salad. :) i now truly appreciate how nature works and constantly surprises. all i did was plant something, give it water and it grew and gave me a wonderful (and crunchable!) vegetable! seriously, how amazing is that?!? last saturday i attended a composting seminar (with maria and dionne, holla!) put on by our local water district and was amazed how efficient nature is at recycling itself. did you know that the inside of a compost heap can get as hot as 140 degrees? all by itself! amazing! i can't wait to garden completely organic and have my own compost bin. i dream of stuff like this now, weird.


here's a zucchini flower at full bloom.


hmm, i think i'm going to try to plan my garden a little better next season. i'm having a bit of a spacing issue here.


grapefruits, ripening in the sunshine. :)

i wanted to show everyone that i'm very talentless in begonias. wow, can you even tell that it's a begoina? if you're wondering what i'm talking about, its that sorry looking one on the right. hmm, my ivy's looking a little bleachy too.

oh and sorry about the low-grade cell phone photos. :)

5 comments:

Diana said...

Jenny, your zucchini is marvelous! It is a real thrill when we grow something.I have a recipe for zucchini fritters which everyone loves, although they are fattening. I will try to remember to post it this week for you.If you were trying to grow tuber begonias they are difficult. At least for me. I have kept a garden journal over the years so I can remember what I can and cannot grow!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! It seems like overnight to us. We get a picture of your transplants and then like magic, a zucchini! O, and BTW, the flowers are also edible. :)

The pictures are beautiful.

Love, Mom ><>

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much they have grown in the few days since i've seen them!! Your salad must have been so yummy! You definitely have a very green thumb. I don't think it's your fault with the begonias. It's the heat. Mine do so well until the heat or the super cold hit.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Love,
mil

Maria Nichole Ham said...

So fun!

David James said...

I'm speechless. It looks amazing.