Wednesday, March 4, 2009

groundbreaking.

happy march!

deciding it was time to finally start on my veggie patch, i made a lot of progress in the past few days by tilling the soil and cleaning out the trash. many milk bottle caps and very annoyed earthworms later, here are my results. :) i dug down nearly two feet because i wanted to be absolutely sure there wasn't anything down there to taint the soil. at one point though i'll admit that i was pretty nervous as i pulled clods of dog hair out of the ground. i thought for sure i was digging into some forgotten unmarked pet gravesite. fortunately, it turned out to be what i think was an old dog bed. (whew! narrow miss!) it's strange digging into a yard you're not familiar with and finding odd objects, it's almost like taking a course in anthropology. (i can't tell you what fabulous things i deduced about the previous owners because i'm not a certified anthropologist. i can tell you though that for some reason they liked to rip the labels off their water bottles. hmm... discuss.)


here is the result of my efforts so far. i've already had a casualty in the form of an ancient hoe that michael's dear grandmother gave me for my birthday. fortunately it only snapped in the middle so it's still quite usable.



joey approves with the improvements so far. i had to clean the dirt off of his curious muzzle this morning and spotted the dirty evidence of digging on his paws a few times now. he's done a good job of keeping me company. :D


here is my comfort during my breaks. homemade iced tea and the second half of the half-blood prince, (...which by the time this post was published, i had finished and almost cried at the end even though i had read the series once before. oh dear).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're a hard-working woman! I'm doing the raised beds so I won't have to dig so much :P And it's so awesome you're drinking out of Ball mason jars. Do yours have handles? My mom always drank her iced tea out of the kind with handles :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mimi said...

Oh my goodness, this looks fantastic.
Maybe they recycled? We used to have to rip our labels off to recycle, but don't anymore.
And, yum, iced tea.

jenny baker said...

i am planning raised beds (michael has to help me with the construction of those) but first i had to fill in the holes left by the huge pitbull that used to live here. yes, i love bell mason jars! no handles though. this one was given to me by my grandma when she gave me her homemade jam. i pretended to forget to give them back. :D

jenny baker said...

and yes, i meant bAll mason, not bell mason!

Anonymous said...

Is this where the tamaters go?

Love, Mom ><>

Anonymous said...

I remember digging for the first time in my new yard ten years ago.I found many trinkets but mostly bricks. Probably about 50 or 60! I have put them all to good use over the years.Have fun!