Thursday, August 6, 2009

how you, bien?

i've been pleasantly busy since returning to the sweltering heat of southern california. i say sweltering, not blistering because it's been very humid and hot here the past week. i was listening to the radio today on my way to work and npr was reporting on the upcoming flu season. hmm yeah, i guess summer is about over for other parts of the country. we still have until mid-october before we see any turning leaves. (not soon enough!!!) still, one must remain optimistic; i heard el nino is going to push a lot of rain our way later this year. :)

i've started running in the mornings again. i run around the city park near our house, it has lots of shady trees and wild bunnies. very nice. i'm at two laps around the park now and i hope to push to three laps sometime next week. i got the inspiration to run again after examining my sweet chicago calves. there's just something about walking for five days around a beautiful city that brings out that muscle definition i've missed for so long.

michael starts school next week, so we've been putting his room together. he's in the journalism room now, (this is his first year teaching journalism) and hopefully this is his last room move for a long time. we've already hung his maps and salvador dali posters, he just needs to organize his office and create a student work wall. i'm back at working in the church two days a week and am unsure about subbing in the school district this year. i don't expect to get a lot of work because of the current budget, but we'll see...

i've also been planning my fall garden. most of my summer flowers are spent and my vegetable garden is slowing its production, but my peppers and tomatoes are still going strong and begging to be picked. i've decided to plant pumpkins this year, i have the perfect sunny corner for them. i've also decided on bachelor buttons, alyssums and pansies for the front flower beds. i'm going to try forget-me-nots also, but it may still be too hot. i've been neglecting my plants lately for the most part due to the green june beetle breeding season. they've infested my peach tree with their pheromones and erratic flying. i don't know about you, but i don't enjoy sharing the same yard as huge lusty beetles. so, while my flowers have paled in the heat, my weeds have been flourishing wonderfully!

8 comments:

Maria Nichole Ham said...

Maybe when I live closer we could be running buddies!?! I'm considering canceling my gym membership, because its expensive and I never use it.

Do you have to rotate pumpkins like you do watermelons. I'd assume so...that's fun.

Lauren S. said...

but maria, you will still encounter the whole sweating problem.

nice post jenny - i watered a rather wilted garden this morning, as we forgot to water yesterday. :(

Mimi said...

Best wishes to Michael and to you. Whooot.

Maria Nichole Ham said...

Ugh, I know. But the chances of encountering random breezes to cool ya off are much more probable.

jenny baker said...

we could bring some of those battery powered mini fans with us & hang them in front of our faces by using a complex wiring system connected to helmets.

just an idea. :)

Val. said...

nice post sista, I have always liked your sweet calves. :D

David James said...

Interestingly, I felt the same way about my calves after 9 days of stompin' out NYC sidewalks. I walked the first day and could have sworn Lance Armstrong had nothing on those bad boyz. Of course, as soon as I got home they decided to invert themselves basically into dents on the back of my shins.

So, I too have been running a lot lately. It's a good relaxation tool after a day's work. And I always sleep very well after a physically demanding run, a luxurious shower, and then a little bit of music.

Mike should get a Truman Capote poster in his room.

jenny baker said...

truman capote? why???