Tuesday, August 25, 2009

i can feel it, see it & taste it.


even though the days are still averaging about 97 degrees, i can definitely notice the evenings getting cooler. school is starting. touches of halloween greet me in stores. high school football is around the corner. blossoms are fading. the nights are getting longer.

every mid-august i start to look for signs of autumn. i let myself think of hot apple cider, roasted pumpkin seeds and beautiful grey skies. autumn is my favorite season, i love everything about it. i love the smells, scarves and coats, the crunchy leaves, the promise of family gatherings and peppermint, hot chocolate with marsh mellows, and shades of reds, oranges and browns. i love love LOVE autumn! :)

i remember living on my own in my first apartment in seaside oregon, watching the rain drip off an evergreen out my living room window. the cool beachy fog clung to the hills as i watched joey's breath puff when we were outside. that first autumn on my own really made me appreciate how beautiful the season is. now i'm excited for my first fall season in my new house! i'm excited to light some pumpkin spice candles, decorate indoors and out, and carve some jack-o-lanterns.

as i type this, i'm sipping on some trader joe's spiced cider. :D easy fall prep tip: heat some spiced cider and some lemon and orange zest on the stove for some yummy hot apple cider. it makes your kitchen smell amazing too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Autumn is my favorite season too and I'm so anxious for it! Your house will be so cozy on those spice filled cool days!

Miss you!
Your mil

Lauren S. said...

Autumn is our fave too!

Mimi said...

It always amazes me how quickly we move from hot, hot, hot summer to autumn in the air.

jenny baker said...

mil,

i can't wait to go to oak glen & bring back some apple cider for uncle aalt. you KNOW he'll be expecting some for thanksgiving!


oh, & a caramel apple for me! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh ya, Oak Glen! You're so sweet to remember Uncle Aalt...he would be expecting it for sure.

When you're ready, the carmel apple is on me:)

Love ya,
mil

Val. said...

gosh, wasn't it just a couple months ago you took me apple-pickin'? btw i really like that photo, did you takes it?

and so it is... said...

i was feeling autumny today... i wore my orange and red leafy dress because i was feeling so. i love autumn too. and i love that i live ten minutes away from oak glen and zack and i went for our first trip on sunday, last sunday that is, and it was/is really nice.
lovely, lovely post:)

David James said...

Only someone who is not from California would equate high school football with autumn.

Nebraska-folk eagerly await the fall for just that reason.