Monday, October 20, 2008

my (hopeful) thanksgiving ideas.


we've been waiting to hear about whether or not our offer has been accepted on our dream home since april, (APRIL!?!) and we now hear that we may be getting a call any day now with the news. (humpf, scoff scoff) i had planned to host a halloween party with friends, caramel apples and costumes, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this year. :(

so instead, i'm going to focus all my creative thoughts on thanksgiving. :) with my grandparents, in-laws and brother and sister (with respective spouses!) planning on coming over, i have a few ideas to make it our first thanksgiving in the new house memorable.



okay, technically my thanksgiving ideas are actually martha stewart's ideas, but oh how i love to drool over her magazines. hehe. so far my menu ideas include green bean casserole, fresh cranberry sauce (my specialty), my grandma's delicious mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin and dutch apple pies, stuffing, and of course, turkey. a fairly traditional fare actually, but i'm not sure what my mom-in-love might have in mind. i'm sure i'll have some more dishes to add later. mmmm!


i love this idea of carving notches out of the tops of apples and putting tea lights inside. i think it would be very cute to line them down the table, or set one at each place setting. it's very easy, all you need is a melon-baller.










these pumpkin yarn balls are adorable, and easy! i love that you can use them all season long and store them away for next year.



are there special traditions or dishes that anyone wants to share?

;)

5 comments:

erin* said...

My latest procrastination tool is the interior design and decorating blogosphere (I did just say "blogosphere"...). I like to read them and imagine all the beautiful things that I can do when I have a house someday.

You probably read them all already, but here are some of my favorites:

Design Sponge

Oh Happy Day

Party Perfect

{frolic!}

jeremy phillips said...

I'll just wait for my invite to come in the mail...
Or are you just going to invite me at church?

It would be a tragedy to wait on mail that isn't going to come.

jenny baker said...

i'm sure your family would be very upset if i invited you jeremy. they would miss you too much. :)

erin, i love it.

Lauren S. said...

those yarn pumpkins are so cool.

last year was my first hosting of Thanksgiving and I blatantly copied everything on the menu from Real Simple magazine. it was goooood too. mmmm.

you can do it! i'm sending housing prayers up for you. i really hope you guys get in there soon. it's been such a dreadfully long wait!

Mimi said...

Wheeeee! How awesome, continued prayers.