Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the very hungry caterpillar(s)


maybe i should blog complaints about my plants more often, if these are the sort of results i get. :) you're so right lauren, it smells amazing!

we got a call from our realtor yesterday to tell us the bank has sent the offer to freddie mac for approval and that he hopes the morgage insurance will go through at the same time. hmm, i really have no idea what that all means to us, but i did get the part about freddie mac giving us a forty-five day window to hear back. things are moving along slowly, but the good news is that things are moving. i'm optimistic that they will approve us for the house, eventually. i don't think the bank would want to spend all the time and effort on a new buyer, especially since they have so many other houses they need to sell but i think it's going to be a quiet july.

last night michael and i were enjoying the warm evening on the porch and as i was watering my plants, i found two green caterpillars on my geranium. i had noticed that something had been nibbling on my leaves lately, i just couldn't figure out what. i guess i'm not quite a "master gardener" yet because instead of killing them on the spot i couldn't help but think about how adorable they were! they were just munching, munching away with their little heads inside my pre-formed geranium buds. although i was i little tiffed that they targeted my BUDS, i am flattered that they picked my plant to munch on. when i was younger, every season my brother and sister and i would always try and save the caterpillars from crossing the road. we had a lot of the "wooly bear" types there and i don't know what it was, but they would always cross the road and get smashed. (they must have been suicidal) i remember one time when i was about twelve, i was taking a walk down the road, looking for caterpillars and i noticed a car coming. at the same time i saw a little caterpillar lopping along in the lane. the car moved to the left as a courtesy for me and ran right over the little caterpillar. all that was left was a tiny greasy spot on the road. i felt so terrible! if i hadn't been there the car would have missed the caterpillar completely! i was done trying to save the caterpillars after that.

i spent a good hour last night googling "green caterpillars" to find out what they were going to turn into. i thought maybe something exotic because they ALWAYS use green caterpillars in children's stories and they ALWAYS have them turn into something beautiful. they're such a brilliant shade of green too, sort of a dark lime color. oh well turns out they're just the brown moth types that get stuck inside your house and annoy your dog. whatever. our children are being taught lies.

the price i pay for mercy...

5 comments:

Mrs. Ham said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog Jenny. What peaceful days you have!

Unknown said...

Drink some cider then feed them to a spider. Take it from an expert on green caterpillars; you don't want to know what they become.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post Jenny. I loved the wooly caterpillars growing up too. I always said they were my pets. I haven't seen any of those where I live now, but I sure have changed my ways regarding other bugs. I'm like a bug's worst nightmare. I kill 'em all. No mercy here if you are a slug, a snail, a potato bug or an earwig. Or any of those other creepy things I kill. However, if you are a black widow, I am running away.

jenny baker said...

oooh lacey, i remember once during lunch in high school you touched a HUGE spider in the window. aaahhh! you did that just to freak me out and i'm now reliving it ALL over again as i type this!!!

Val. said...

"oh well turns out they're just the brown moth types that get stuck inside your house and annoy your dog." hahaha!

incidentally, I like finding bugs in the house (moths, flies but not spidies...i usually flush 'em) & fat caterpillars outside, they're little treats for the lizards --munch 'em up so fast! if you & I lived closer, carrying fanciful bug dinners to my house would be a great excuse to see you. :)