Thursday, August 21, 2008

treadmills and tuna sandwiches.

so, as this year has been hard emotionally and physically, my new goal for the remainder of the year is working on getting healthier. with the help of church, family and friends i've improved on the emotional side and am now moving on to the physical side. due to stress and medical problems i've gained fifteen unwanted (and previously unknown) pounds. my solution is a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. i've started the exercising slowly, mostly just walking a mile on the treadmill, cycling and lifting light weights. as soon as i feel healthier i plan on continuing to cycle and lift weights and start running three times a week.

my diet: eat a sensible healthy breakfast, a sensible healthy lunch and a sensible healthy dinner. ha, sounds easy right? dieting is fun! no rice crackers for me though, for breakfast today i had coffee and almond granola cereal, for lunch i had a tuna sandwich on multigrain wheat bread with a plumb and apple slices, for dinner i plan on having barbecued buffalo burgers with broccoli and potatoes. yum. my biggest problem though is snacking, i love to snack. i bought grapes, crackers&cheese, and carrots when i feel the need to snack.

my plan is to reach my target weight by the time of my brother's wedding in november, that gives me three months to look great in a new little dress. :) admittedly though, one of my biggest incentives to lose weight is an excuse to buy a whole new wardrobe. of course, that would actually help with the emotional side too, or is it the superficial side? either way, i do need some new clothes. my jeans are faded and uncomfortable and my tops are all too casual.

(i'm blogging this so i can be held accountable, publicly. it's always the best way!)

6 comments:

Mrs. Ham said...

As I'm reading/typing, I'm eating a cheddar bread sub with mayo and lettuce and my favorite, TURKEY! Oh and washing it down with my favorite spicy Miss Vickies chips! How delightfully convenient that you would post about diets. I feel very guilty now. :P

p.s. I CANNOT WAIT for you to move in to your beautiful home so that we can be workout/walking/running buddies!!!!

Val. said...

good job with the diet planning :) I'm trying to make sure i don't snack too much...and when i do it's baby carrots or something. eating often throughout the day is better than 3 big[ger] meals because of the dreaded snacking. don't make yourself hungry, definitely work 'em snackies in.

as far as running, ew. I'm more of a sprinter-type, so me & dave walk instead. :) he's helping me with excersises & weight training...although i would much rather be lazy & sit in front of the tv...um i've ranted, done now!

Mimi said...

I lost about 45 pounds about two years ago, and have done pretty well at keeping it off (I actually went up about ten pounds, because I undershot my goal) and the main thing I learned is to eat the number of calories that sustain the weight you want to be (taught to me by the lovely Alana Juliana - the multiplier is 12 for women, 14 for men) and to always put a portion of what you are eating into a bowl and then walk away from the bag.

Kaleena said...

Hummus is also a great snack food, although, I guess its somewhat fatty. Enjoy your workouts. I'm not sure if you guys have netflix but back in the day I used to order workout videos from them for a break from my normal routines. You can also see which you like and may want to buy.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, losing weight is FUN :P I've lost about 23 pounds since October, and it's been a constant battle to maintain my weight. It helps to write everything down somewhere, like in a food journal. I eat a non-fat yogurt, baby carrots and a piece of fruit for breakfast, a smallish lunch (usually leftovers from the night before or a whole-wheat tortilla sandwich with cheese and tomatoes), and for dinner we have been going mostly vegetarian. Portion size is the big thing. I guess your whole dinner SHOULD fit on a salad plate. That sucks. A good snack too are those mini 100-calorie bags of popcorn. They're so yummy.

Xenia Kathryn said...

Sounds like you're off to a good start, Jenny. Try to get lots of sleep, too-- I hear it helps. And I think it's true!