Thursday, April 24, 2008

gardening journal.



i have decided to start a gardening journal, a place to jot down future ideas and collect various magazine clippings for my ideal garden. i'm using an oversized notebook my sister bought me (the one with the pretty B&W pattern!) and have already collected a few good ideas from domino magazine. i really like domino, although sometimes their style is a little too heavy with mid-century modern ideas. next time you're in a barnes and noble stop by the magazine rack and thumb through it, tell me what you think. i'm pretty sure the same publishers also make ready made which is full of useful DIY crafts and projects.

okay so, one idea i'm really excited about from my recent magazine search?

hellebores!

hellebores are perennials that are also known as christmas or lenten roses because they bloom between December and April. i've longed for a good winter plant for awhile because winter is often the most depressing time as far as flowers go, it seems all the beautiful plants are holding their buds in until May.

hellebores come in lots of different colors too, anything from green or deep maroon to orange. basically they're the best winter plant around, unfortunately they're not easy to find. i'll have to make a few calls to the local nurseries.

so i guess i could have made my gardening journal into a separate blog and write down all my ideas electronically for you all to see, but i write everything on this blog anyway... so what else would there be to write?? i guess i'm just not very trendy...

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Oooh, those are gorgeous! As is your journal. Good job!

Val. said...

i'm trying to make a portfolio...ya know with lil' drawings and notes alongside magazine and newsprint cuttings. yeah...haven't assembled it together yet, perhaps I'll get meself a notebook instead of the plans to construct my own.

*shrugs* in any case, your top photo is tops. :)

sherry said...

Hi Jenny,

It's fine time I "introduce" myself. I'm a college friend of Michael's. (Michael and Pieter stayed a my house on their way to Portland when Michael met you for the first time!)

I've been spying on your blog for a while, and I love it. We love many of the same things. I hope you don't mind me wandering over to your little spot here.

Your gardening journal is charming, and I'm a fan of Domino, too. How wonderful to anticipate a garden. I love much about my townhome, but I lack a yard for a garden. I have many pots to help make up for it, but I'm looking forward to having a "real" garden some day.

Have a great weekend and have fun dreaming about your flowers!

Unknown said...

keep the thumb green, jenny! and sherry... don't you northern californian folk use the word "hellebore" not only when referring to plant genera, but also to make it known whether you are bored or not?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter 2009[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter 10 tage[b][/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter heute[/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter station[/url]

Anonymous said...

Its Definitely decorous bookmarking for expected reference.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]